View Single Post
Old 16 November 2005, 23:04   #25
Originally Posted by wanderer
galu: Aaargh, handheld consoles, crappy controllers, tiny screen. Definitively not for the 'explory' type platformers... The PS2 / Gamecube games look great, and probably play great too, but I really don't want to risk entering the console area 'cause I'll get sucked into never-ending gaming again, and I don't have the time for that anymore...
I do not agree about crappy controllers and tiny screens. IMHO handhelds are the best hardware for 2D platform games. But if you're not going to buy one, you may try some excellent stuff on your PC using GBA emulator:
"Cute": Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (SNES conversion), Go! Go! Beckham!, Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, Maya The Bee Great Adventure, Densetsu no Stafy (these are my favourites but there are hundereds of other nice 2D jump&run games for GBA)
Heavy exploration: Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

And you should know that nowadays PC is definitely not a platform for 2D platform games - and, in fact, it never was. But it is a great platform for emulation
And you still can find a lot of great, new 2D games on current handheld systems (Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable - - AWESOME!) and even some high quality stuff for mobile phones (
Page generated in 0.10068 seconds with 9 queries