View Single Post
Old 08 November 2005, 11:56   #36
Hey, it is widely accepted by what's left of the Amiga community that this is just but the first step in a long road to recovery. From little Acorns big Oaks grow (or something like that)

To answer a point made earlier about open source, I would like to point out that the project for OS4 is being led by the frieden brothers who work at Hyperion. Now I don't know if anyone here knows this, but these guys are Amiga nuts through and through. They care about the OS they care about the community (the post regularly on Amigaworld) If they were just doing it for the money, they would have released it in some god awful state ages ago. Trust me, they want to get it as near perfect as possible before they have to release it.

Also, there are something like 40 odd Volunteer programmers working on various bits of the OS (or have worked on) this is very much a community effort, those programmers are Amiga users too. They know what needs to be done in order to make it as good as possible.

Yes, it's not open source, but this arrangement means that AmigaOS4 will be consistent, has commercial possibilities and is still being written by the community for the community.

Best of both worlds really :-)

The only downside is that you have to dig into your pockets and spend some money. Sadly, years of being an Amiga user, has made me see that of all the Computer users out there, those involved with Amiga seem to be the most reticent to part with money.

Last edited by Mikey_C; 08 November 2005 at 17:00.
Page generated in 0.09181 seconds with 9 queries