View Single Post
Old 06 November 2005, 16:22   #9
@Dr Dude: Yeah, I thought of that. Change the graphics, change the name, and presto! No more problem. They can't complain about "look and feel" as IK was always just a rip-off of Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung Fu; the samples were nabbed straight from Enter the Dragon (copyright infringment, Mr Maclean?); and the code is 100% original work.

@Whitesnake: I actually managed to get hold of Archer Maclean a year or so ago. He said that he was involved in some sort of legal tussle over the rights; I suppose System 3 must have won. He asked me to take the game down temporarily whilst we worked out what to do about it, which I did, but then I didn't hear from him again. I took this as an implicit way of saying "Host the game if you want, but you didn't hear that from me." That's just my interpretation; I could be completely wrong. But I put the game back up anyway.

So, not much out of Maclean. He did say that he was very impressed, though:

"I have to ask, how did you do the conversion - is it an emulation of the original?"

Can you imagine trying to get UAE working in Flash? There's no greater compliment than the game's original author thinking you've written an emulator, rather than just working out the algorithms and recreating the game from scratch.
Page generated in 0.08417 seconds with 9 queries