View Single Post
Old 21 October 2001, 07:04   #54

Ok, I just found the article, it's on the August 1994 edition, the one with Ruff 'n' Tumble in the cover.
I will say just what Mr. Braybrook has to say about the games, and cut off the crap of what Simon Byron wrote

"Elfmania is throwing a lot of stuff around, there's no doubt about it. It's all running in 32-colour mode with parallaxing, silhoutted backgrounds. But if you look carefully, the animated backgrounds stop when there's a lot going on - so the waterfall stops falling, until the processor has time to catch up. It's the kind of thing you tend not to notice while you're playing the game, which makes it a pretty good trick.
Most programmers tend to only put things in which work all the time, and most of them would throw their hands up in horror if they saw something phsyically stopping, but Terramarque obviously thought that stopping the effect was worth it. There's nothing wrong with that, the fact that it works sometimes is better than not having the effect in there at all.
Another Sneaky thing they do is with the coins. When they appear they're all flashing "ooh, that's pretty". But that's rather cunning because you only have to plot them half the time, meaning you can have twice as many on-screen"

"Because it scrolls around, the first time I saw the tunnel sequence, I thought the game was continually changing the perspective as the screen moves. It's not. But because you want to believe it is, it creates an optical illusion. It had me stumped for a while. I thought "How on earth are they doing that?"
What Bloodhouse has done with the tunnel sequences is create a series of animation images which are two by two screens big, with only three frames or so in each. By cycling through the images - much like you do with Dpaint - the impression of a moving tunnel is created, and because the animation screens are bigger than the Amiga's display, Bloodhouse scrolls them up, down, left and right to make you think the perspective is changing.
I expect that Bloodhouse uses DPaint with its perspective mode to create the tunnels. This particular effect isn't technically impressive itself - we all know how to do it - but affording the amount of memory to put those images into a 1Mb machine is where the skill lies. I'd guess that the tunnel sequence alone takes up at least 96 Kb, which is a fifith of your total chip ram. To give you an idea, 96kb is probably the amount of memory I'd devote to the entire sprite set for one level in Uridium 2. "

I'll type the trciks of Galactic, Turrican 1 & 2 and AGony later, if you guys are interested..

Nicely enough, both Bloodhouse and Terramarque merged and formed Bloodmarque, and they made one of the most impressive PC games, called The Reap (Akira can say more about this game, if he wants to )
Page generated in 0.05445 seconds with 9 queries