View Single Post
Old 20 May 2005, 14:42   #32
Retired Quartex Sysop
Originally Posted by girv
Kind of, in theory, yes its possible

Someone would have to buy Wepl a Dragon system (register more WHDLoad folks!), persuade him to port WHDLoad to it, then either persuade him to extend WHDLoad to include a ColdFire unimplemented instruction exception handler and emulation code or persuade all the patch authors to update their patches to modify the unimplemented opcodes in the games.

Me too. The features that are missing from ColdFire are very commonly used and would take some time compared to the original to emulate. I guess many games would be ultimately limited by custom chipset speed though, unless alexh gets his way

I think they mentioned they couldnt have done it before now as only the latest ColdFire cores have sufficient 680x0 compatibility to make it feasible.
Maybe v5 will be a full 680x0 clone, except at 500Mhz If they'd just add a MMU and some more addressing modes...

I had an email from Elbox regarding this as I asked them specifically about WhDLoad. Below are some quotes from their response

Q: How are the missing OpCodes dealt with?

A: The main way of functioning OS3.x on DRAGON is a 5475.library, which
works in the same way as 060.library.

Q: If Elbox provided some technical info it is quite possible for authors of key 680X0 software like WHDLoad could make patches. WHDLoad could use a Tooltype to load a patch layer for each game patch so that gamers with Dragon could play their games still.

A: Our developer Dept. plans to publish DRAGON SDK, with complete info how to optimise software for ColdFire. Apart of that some Amiga softare developers are just in contact with us in this matter.

I'd suggest that we test Elbox on this... someone who has a technical brain (ie not me) could ask some specific questions to aid Whdload working under Coldfire and see how helpful a response they get. Personally loading a game from HD with an added Tooltype "COLDFIRE=On" or whatever seems just what the doctor ordered. Not being able to play games with the Coldfire kinda makes the whole thing pointless!
Page generated in 0.05310 seconds with 9 queries