View Single Post
Old 19 April 2005, 10:44   #1
keropi

Evil grin For those interested in joining the PPC world...

OK, I have finally decided to write this, based on my OWN personnal experience, and I will state my OWN personnal thoughts/conclutions...
After some hunting on ebay and other sources, I have managed to buy a BPPC 060/60 603/200 with a complete g-rex package, to replace my 1260/50 with a zorroII piccoloSD64...
after setting everything up, did it really worth all the money/trouble?

NO.

and why?
1. I am just a gamer that likes retrogaming, and frankly all the PPC games I have tried SUCK... I will not try to mention the miserable framerates of quake/quake2/heretic2...
2. The switch of AGA/Voodoo3 just suck.... I am oblidged to use a manual external video switch, which also adds quality loss.... no more auto-switching between modes like the piccoloSD64 did...
3. The stability of ppc apps is questionable, just like their quality and quantity... I had various crashes with quake/quake2, and yes, the card is not overheating and the psu is more than enough...
4. It must now take ~35 seconds for the amiga to boot because of all the soft-resets the ppc/os3,9 patches make... no more 10sec uptime...

Frankly, the only perfomance boost I saw was because of the 68060 being at 60mhz, which is a lot faster than the 50mhz on my previous 1260...
Maybe I have not tried the right apps or something, but I doubt it would make a big difference...
And I am writting all these, not to discourage anyone to enter the ppc world, but to warn retro-gamers as my self before they go spent their money... ppc hardware will not suddenly make the amiga perfom wonders... stick to a 060 with a zorro rtg...
I wonder what other ppc users have to say... remember to be honest for me, ppc is not what I expected it to be...

Excuse any errors I made, I have a lot in mind right now...
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05174 seconds with 9 queries