View Single Post
Old 11 January 2005, 07:58   #10
MigNut
Long term Amiga user

Yep, I agree, just install Picasso96 like the guys say, it's pretty straightforward. After installation it's best to go to the Picasso prefs (I think the file is called 'Picasso96Mode') and tweak it for each screen mode to best suit your monitor, it has a 'Test' button so you can see improvments as you do it. Also, if my memory serves me right (which can't be guaranteed at my age.....) it asks for a freq (poss. horizontal) during installation, defaults to 35Khz I think, and that will flicker on most SVGA monitors, and most modern monitors can take a lot more, so crank that up to what your monitor specs can take (possibly 75 to 85) for a more stable image. it can be tweaked after installation of you prefer, using 'Picasso96Mode'.
Don't worry too much about apps that are not Gfx card friendly, if you launch them they'll just appear on the old AGA output.
ModePro is also worth installing as it can promote some of the AGA apps onto a Picasso screen, but some like Scala and ProGrab are AGA only I'm afraid, and no amount of ModePro-ing will make them think otherwise, they use specific AGA abilities.
One of the great things about the Picasso software is that it allows you to create your own screen modes from scratch, which is very useful, so you can ModePro an AGA app onto a Gfx card screen, but the app may have been designed to only work on say a 640 x 256 AGA screen, so will look odd and out of proportion on a Picasso default screen, but you can go into the Picasso software and create a 640 x 256 Picasso screen just for that app, then it will work seamlessly and still look 'right'.
This works for Infofile, GBroute etc. etc.

Have fun, I hope it goes well.

Page generated in 0.04319 seconds with 11 queries