View Single Post
Old 24 December 2004, 10:57   #8
HCF
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Sorry about my SNAP reply, but you must have known the answer to most of your questions before posting...... didnt you?
Not really (if I knew the answers, why would I ask ? )...I just saw a post in a different section and it made me think...Don't think insults prove anybody's superiority or that a point is more valid...Really never thought about this question and just accepted it as a given that different sites have different views on this matter...

Quote:
Because a lot of hardwork went into creating the ROMS, people were paid to do it, and the company which paid for them (and subsequent companies which paid for the rights) want to make a profit on their investment.
Well, that is true for any commercial product, the question is though, is the old Kickstart really still a true investment ? As far as I know (I might be wrong here) there is no new development of Amiga hardware, so where is the money being generated with ? Selling Amiga emulators ??

Quote:
But as you know some hard working people in the Amiga community have managed to get a lot of the copyright holders to do just that (Back2roots).
Yes, I am aware of that site and of course I already mentioned software that has been cleared for free distribution. There are a lot of other abandonware sites with similar content that don't seem to check whether or not a game has been released...

Quote:
You are assuming that everyone does this and runs illegal copies of software. I am just pointing out that a lot of companies have released their software (back2roots), People have made legal backups of their own software (CAPS, WHDLoad). And a few people (like myself) dont want to play games, they just want to watch the demo's that were released.
Correct me if I am wrong but WHDLoad modifies the program code ? Already a violation (actually debugging it is) of most licenses ! Not trying to be smart but just find it hypocritical how some people (probably you too !) think there is a difference between say game x and Kickstart ROM....
Plus not really a lot of new software being released...Just look in the Zone here and you will find not only B2tR titles...

Quote:
But you should know that Amiga / KMOS (who make profits from licensing KS) have made some attempt to make new products, (they did for a while?) pay for OS4 development at Hyperion, they paid for an office, salaries for several employees, sponsored shows etc. OK so it hasnt worked out but that was always a possibility.
Honestly, the A1200 was the last Amiga for me and I didn't care anymore because the Amiga was doomed at the time anyway and PCs were the future...My point though was that no Amigas will be made anymore, whether that is a good thing or not (I think it is because the newer Amigas just went further away from what I liked) and why is not that important...Maybe there will be an AmigaOne one day but until then...

Quote:
You KNOW why the owners to the rights of AmigaOS (Kickstart) wont release it. I dont understand why you started this thread?
Of course they won't release it because they own the rights and nobody gives up anything like that for no reason (except for a few idealists, maybe if a developer reads this and still has a backup they could leak it ?!)...The point is, why does it matter if they release it ? Other companies did not release their software either and it is available on the net, so where is the difference ?

Quote:
The only interesting bit was

I've always wondered that, ask Toni? They also include WinFellow etc. That aside they DID pay for the development of AmiExplorer which is a great bit of software. An alternative to AmigaSamba / PC2Amiga for transferring files to and from the Amiga. The only option for Vanilla 2Mb Amiga's with Network cards.
Well, that was another thing I was wondering about...Without WinUAE nobody would want the ROMs or anything anyway and they are living off people who actually put many hours into a program that is free...How long until the copyright expires, anybody knows ? The original ROM is from 85/86 so should not be that much longer and the newer (2+) ROMs aren't really that important to most people who want to emulate an Amiga for games...

Page generated in 0.09213 seconds with 9 queries