View Single Post
Old 17 December 2004, 16:56   #11
The Ancient One
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Nothing can touch the early atari 400/800 or the C64 that came after for gaming, Apple II was a game machine because nothing else was around at the time for competition (PET/Vic20 included)
As long as you're making a point of including the PET/Vic20, you might also point out that the original IBM PC, and "ugly ass" CGA graphics weren't around yet either. When the original Apple II and the later II+ (my first computer) started to develop healthy sales numbers in the US, there simply were no realistic alternatives to an Apple here, at least not if you were concerned about being able to find software for it. Once Apple showed that there was a viable market for home PC's, companies such as Commodore, Atari and IBM jumped in to grab their share of the market. To do so, they developed machines that improved on the Apple II's capabilities, naturally.

The II series was still a pretty decent game machine for the time, and it did have a few advantages over some of the others that came later. The one that most comes to my mind is a 2 button joystick, which the Atari and C64 did not have. My favorite game on the Apple II was Lode Runner, and with the 2 button joystick, it was possible to dig a hole behind you even as you were running from a pursuer. Conversions for other machines required you to stop and face in the direction you wanted to dig in, which could easily get you killed.
Page generated in 0.05038 seconds with 9 queries