View Single Post
Old 25 November 2004, 23:37   #3
i think it's ok to ask, but i don't agree on the fact that not release it is ridiculous, why a creator should make his creation free in first instance?
secondly, this particular creation, kickstart/workbench it is mechanically needed to use, and then enjoy, stuff that it is still not at all free, like many games and utilities. like for exemple Cloanto stuff: Cloanto owners have bought the right to use Kickstart and Workbench and their programs sells are tied to people need for that.
not only this, but also in general why should one loose their rights' income while a third part (like games productors) gets money for its intellectual property use?
let's see Toni Wilen and Winuae for instance: he chosed to have Winuae free but who would really criticize him if he had not?
apart of that you cannot put the Amiga trademark conception (20 years ago) on the same level of the last Kickstart and Workbench (circa 1992), but this just as invite not to generalize.
A lot of people offers his free time and great work for the enjoyment of amiga ideas, like owners and mantainers of this board, creators of whdload installs etc, they have a return of fun (maybe) and popularity on the scene (again maybe), somene, money, like the whdload creator: these are choices based on their personal judgement on the proprtion of the work done. they keep anyway the amiga "alive" today; i don't think that the release that you suggest would make hardware half dead around the planet to reborn.
my token anyway, as like i've said, it's ok to ask.
Page generated in 0.05284 seconds with 9 queries