View Single Post
Old 01 November 2004, 20:22   #6
I'm totally in agreement with you Synchro.

There will come a time when emulation is the only viable means of playing/using the old classics. I wonder if those with the (perhaps) elitest view that Amiga should only be played on Amiga will be saying the same thing in 20 years time?

It's akin to saying that old 16mm home movies people made before video camera's were around should only be played back on a 16mm projector. It's more convenient and obviously it preserves the film if it's transferred over to VHS or DVD. Likewise with Amiga. It's more convenient for some to play Amiga software on a PC and less use of the real Amiga results in a higher preservation rate.

The Dreamcast, piracy wise, is in a similar situation. Again it was mis-management at Sega the resulted in the true demise of the DC yet it's popularity was increasing mainly due to the fact that people realised there wasn't much protection on the system. It's also homebrew stuff and it's relatively easy to get hold of back catalogue that still keeps the DC popular to this day. Being a much harder machine to emulate though, people are still reliant on ever dwindling numbers of real hardware (Although Chankcast works surprisingly well for some titles!)

It's also been whispered that Microsoft knew it would be pretty easy to 'mod' the xbox but were quite 'happy' about this because it allowed the system to achieve critical mass in a short space of time. They have only made token efforts to make modding more difficult and were quite prepared to make a major loss on the system. Get the product out there in large numbers, get the name known and the next system will sell like hot cakes due to the (and I don't understand it) product allegience console consumers usually enter into.

XBox2 security will be a hell of a lot more difficult to circumvent though!

Ignore the train spotters Synchro - I do!

In saying that though, the people who should be benefitting from the massive retro-gaming scene are the software authors themselves so perhaps the answer isn't to make all software freely available after a certain amount of time but to employ some kind of iTunes model to the availability with people being able to download titles legally knowing that the author will be receiving a share of the small cost.

This won't happen though!

(Dunno if the above text makes any sense people! It's just that I can see where Synchro is coming from and agree 110% with him!)
Page generated in 0.05412 seconds with 9 queries