View Single Post
Old 07 May 2024, 14:46   #4470
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I've pushed the changes so far to the misc/messages-redux branch of my fork. The 2/3 mode is now using up to 5 lines (4, with one for overflow) in the space between the 3D view and the bottom hud, as per the screenshot. The text is only redrawn once per message tick (about every second) and stops being drawn at all once the last redraw was blank, until something adds a new message line. Hopefully that keeps the overhead to a minumum.

The dev build can use the H key to disable the devmode HUD overlay which is pretty clashy.

This needs testing on real hardware ideally because I'm doing something I am not entirely sure is safe to do - namely invoking RectFill() on a bitmap that I currently have locked. The fill is assumed to be quicker than clearing the region using the CPU and the existing text plotting routines only render set pixels (so that they draw nicely over the background in fullscreen).

I do the RectFill before doing any CPU writes and expect this to be a synchronous operation. It certainly "works" in UAE, but the idea that the call happens while the bitmap is locked does worry me a bit.

Page generated in 0.05192 seconds with 10 queries