View Single Post
Old 03 May 2024, 08:37   #4006
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I wouldn't either. Most demo scene programmers were hackers. Their code wasn't great, and was largely cribbed off others. They were mostly kids who didn't have the discipline required to make commercial products.
Experience is the keyword for the employment filter. My argument's intent is for Elf Mania's visual effects to be open-sourced into Commodore's official game SDK. This minimizes the "reinvent-the-wheel" R&D discovery.

Quote:
I also don't believe that Commodore should have been developing their own games.
1st party game developers enable use case exploration and hopefully discover optimized Blitter assist C2P code samples for Commodore's official game SDK. This minimizes the "reinvent-the-wheel" R&D discovery.

Both AMD GPUOpen and NVIDIA have game-centric code sample libraries. Hint: Psy-Q.

Quote:
Their job was to produce the hardware and OS, just like other computer manufacturers did. IMO what Commodore should have done is what John Sands did in New Zealand when they were selling the Sega SC3000 here - encourage users to develop and submit their own games, distributing them and paying royalties based on sales. This rapidly expanded the software library and got a lot of people into programming games who wouldn't otherwise have bothered - myself included.
That's old fashion.

Unlike other PC OEMs, Commodore maintains its ecosystem platform like Microsoft or Apple.

I'll argue for Commodore's Xbox team or at least Commodore's game SDK on par with Psy-Q game-centric SDK.

Sega Saturn SDK wasn't the best example of game SDK.

If you force "reinvent-the-wheel" R&D discovery on a game console platform, that's burning boilerplate development time.

Quote:
Commodore should have produced a 'developer's edition' Amiga package for the same price as other packages, with freely distributable versions of the development tools. That would cost them little while turbocharging the development scene. The main reason I bought an Amiga was so I could program its amazing hardware, and I'm sure many others did the same (one reason the demo scene was so active). That needed to be cultivated!
What does the 'developer's edition' Amiga package contain?

PS; I'm influenced by Psy-Q game-centric SDK.

Last edited by hammer; 03 May 2024 at 08:43.

Page generated in 0.04243 seconds with 11 queries