View Single Post
Old 03 May 2024, 06:09   #3999
dreadnought

What, page 200 an no celebrations? You guys are no fun

Let's remedy that with a happy face.

So, yeah, there was a point where I thought this thread beyond ridiculous, but since then I learned to appreciate it a bit more. I like to talk about old machines, and if the only way to scratch that itch is to relive the same argument loop over and over and over, then so be it! Long may it live and here's to another 200 pages.

Now that's out of the way, let's get back to business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Guess what titles the PlayStation had on release in 1994?

A IV Evolution: A Ressha de Ikou 4
A.IV. Evolution (Hatsubai Kinen Gentei Set)
Crime Crackers
Geom Cube
Kakinoki Sh?gi
Kikuni Masahiko Jirushi: Warau Fukei-san Pachi-Slot Hunter
King's Field
Jikky? Powerful Pro Yaky? '95
Mahjong Gok? Tenjiku
Mahjong Station: MAZIN
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Nekketsu Oyako
Parodius
Ridge Racer
Special Collection Vol. 1
Tama: Adventurous Ball in Giddy Labyrinth
Twin Goddesses
Twinbee Taisen Puzzle Drama

Some real killer games there - like '3D' Tetris, two Mahjong games, a 'puzzle drama' based on a 1985 arcade game, a collection of adventure games previously released in 1993 for the PC-98, a slot machine gambling game, a baseball simulation game previously released on the SNES, a couple of 2D shmups originally released in 1988 on MSX and 1990 on NES, a pretty poor looking dungeon game, an fps with Wolfenstein 3D style graphics, and a 2D fighting game.

Can we say 'shovelware'? At least it did have Ridge Racer, a car racing game that wowed me for about 3 minutes before I became bored with it.
I do enjoy your posts since they almost always offer something funny to comment on, but the real gems come when you try to talk about games. This one is no different. So let's skip over the fact these aren't really the launch games and check this extremely amusing "review"

- "two Mahjong games, a 'puzzle drama' based on a 1985 arcade game, a baseball simulation game previously released on the SNES, a slot machine gambling game" - so a bunch of genres which are hugely popular in Japan, Sony's native country and the first to launch PS at. The sheer insanity of it, what were they thinking?

-"a couple of 2D shmups originally released in 1988 on MSX and 1990 on NES, a collection of adventure games previously released in 1993 for the PC-98" - god forbid, re-releasing old popular games with new gfx? This would never pass on A1200/CD32.

-"and a 2D fighting game." - another genre totally hated in JP and worldwide

-"an fps with Wolfenstein 3D style graphics" - aaaaand another one

-Moto Toon Grand Prix - this didn't get a "review", but while it was indeed rushed and rather poor, Sony supported the devs, who made a brilliant sequel and after that Gran Turismo

-"a pretty poor looking dungeon game" - ie supremely popular RPG, which has spawned numerous sequels and eventually turned into Dark Souls franchise

But, ok, even if these games were really "shovelware" it wouldn't matter much, since on launch you only need one killer app. Just one. And Ridge Racer certainly was that one game, and did amuse millions of people for far longer than "three minutes". Same also goes for NA and EU launches, which conveniently went unmentioned and which had toshinden and Wipeout along Ridge Racer.

And that one killer app at launch is more than what A1200 & CD32 managed during their entire life spans.

Page generated in 0.05259 seconds with 11 queries