View Single Post
Old 01 May 2024, 13:56   #3954
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Isn't your whole 'shtick' that the Amiga was so much cheaper than a PC?
No, that isn't my whole 'shtick'. The Amiga had advantages over a PC even at the same price. But it had the big advantage of being much cheaper to own the base model while still being able to upgrade as much as you liked and/or could afford.

OTOH an Amiga decked out with equivalent hardware to a PC had a big downside - it wasn't IBM compatible (which is why I eventually sold my A3000). But if you could only afford the base model Amiga this wasn't an issue, because you couldn't have a PC anyway. So the Amiga suited people with limited budgets, just like earlier home computers did.

Quote:
I'm sure every Amiga user that was still using the platform in late 1997 was very happy to get a Doom port. That isn't exactly the same thing as getting it to work on a pregnancy test
True.

Doom on the Amiga is virtually identical to the PC version, so you get an 'authentic' experience. Even better, you can have endless fun doing various things to improve (or not) the frame rate. "Forget shooting things, I just want to get the highest possible fps!". PiStorm here we come...

Quote:
Edit: PS Doom got a cool new soundtrack, colored lighting and sound effects though. Really not too shabby especially if you consider the price
Yes, I saw that. Wasn't impressed. The colored lighting looked tacky and killed the atmosphere, and the sound just sounded 'off'. It's not the true Doom if it doesn't have the same sound!

Quote:
Edit 2: I should mention that I owned Doom on the Jaguar
I commiserate.

Page generated in 0.06441 seconds with 11 queries