View Single Post
Old 19 April 2024, 12:07   #20
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

No constant disk access or random processes spontaneously going 100%. WB would just do stuff when I told it to. If not, there was probably a virus. Nowadays there's no way to tell.

Lack of hover-over stuff. Popups give me mouse pointer parking paranoia.

Icon frames, size variation and positioning, yeah. I'm not sure if it was a good way to do things, but it was certainly fun.

Assigns and RAM disk was neat, too.

---

On new macs I think "Save file as ..." is missing from File/ unless you enable it on some obscure settings. There's a clone/copy thing instead iirc.

As for windows... I don't think it's /for/ a specific group of people, i.e. it doesn't seem like they're trying to make the best product to wow people. It's more of a fishing hook design, too full of dark patterns to be considered benign and helpful. It's quite exhausting having to fend the stuff off then seeing it sneakily re-enable after an update. Most people are not tech savvy, mind, and computers becoming so convoluted they're almost a black box to tech savvy people as well. Phones are just a magical picture tablet you make gestures at, hoping some eldritch tech ether horror doesn't get you.

Page generated in 0.08017 seconds with 11 queries