View Single Post
Old 18 April 2024, 11:52   #67
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I'm not seeing as much imagination as I'd expect from a system which globally outsold all the other major computers combined. Where was the C64's Elite, or Football Manager, or Turbo Esprit, or Ant Attack, or Dizzy, or Lords of Midnight, or Atic Atac?
We can play the "let's pretend our system(s) of choice is/are more innovative than the C64" game with C64 originals as well as a neat counter. Here's some C64 originals (some have been named before):

Were was the <<insert non-C64 system here>>'s Little Computer People, Maniac Mansion, SimCity, Stunt Car Racer, Ghostbusters, Summer Games, Impossible Mission, Leader Board, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Mail Order monsters, Gribbly's Day Out, Quake Minus One, etc.

Note: this list, like others given before is just a small sampling of games, it is not exhaustive by any stretch. It just shows some of the more innovative games on the system. Also note that I chose most of these games to not be 2D arcade games. Also note: most of these games were ported from the C64 to other systems, but the C64 version was in all cases the first to be created.

To be clear here, I am not actually arguing that the ZX-Spectrum, Amstrad CPC or any other system were not innovative. My argument is that the idea that the C64 was not a place for innovative games or that the games that were innovative for the system were in 'narrow genres' is just, well... Incorrect.

The list provides by Retro-Nerd already establishes this, by the way. It is not narrow in genre in the slightest. You can't get much more different in genre than Maniac Mansion vs Space Taxi, or Summer Games vs Last Ninja.

Last edited by roondar; 18 April 2024 at 12:03.

Page generated in 0.04601 seconds with 10 queries