View Single Post
Old 11 April 2024, 15:03   #946
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
Well, if there is one thing Metal Slug needs it's RAM, RAM and RAM.
And the STE can have 4mb of it, like Roondar said.
AFAIK, the STE can have 14MB of ST-RAM (i.e. GFX RAM) .

The game has just been optimised to use a lot less of it. Just think about it, 14MB of Chip RAM would be quite the thing. We very nearly got support for 8MB Chip RAM, but sadly Commodore ended up not implementing it in AGA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob68K View Post
True enough but no matter how quickly you could do that, it's still an overhead. I'm not familiar with the relative performance of the blitters but I would think that the Amiga's would have to be significantly quicker to make up for it. Particularly as the Atari's has a 0.86Mhz headstart?
ST Blitter speed is dependend on how you use it. Apparently, if you use it properly and have BOBs that are 32 pixels wide or multiples thereof, you can get a throughput that is about the same (or even slightly higher in some cases) as the Amiga Blitter.

It's certainly faster than copying from Fast or Slow RAM using the CPU though.

Note: I am not an ST Blitter expert, I'm just repeating things I've seen on EAB and on YouTube - where talented STe coders have essentially 'tied' with the Amiga's Blitter speed for 16 colour low res screen modes.
Note 2: this speed comparison is valid for simple BOB blits. If you start using the tricks that Sandruzzo talked about, the result may be more in the Amiga's favour.

Last edited by roondar; 11 April 2024 at 15:17.

Page generated in 0.07959 seconds with 11 queries