View Single Post
Old 10 April 2024, 01:15   #3529
emiespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Commodore management caused time wasting, resource misdirection, large-scale corruption, and the loss of proven good engineers.
Agreed. I did not mean all engineers at Commodore, only the director ones that could not talk to marketing guys and vice-versa. All mis-directed by top management.

Quote:
From [ Show youtube player ]
1. ET4000W32i ISA card handles 800x600 with 16-bit color Windows GDI just fine.

2. ET4000W32i ISA card handles StarCraft's 640x480p 256 colors just fine when the Windows GDI display setting is 640x480p 16-bit hi-color. StarCraft used DirectDraw API.

Gaming PC won for valid technical and cost vs performance reasons.

Commodore's core revenue demographics are in games.

3DO says Hi... 3DO was 36 channel DMA beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Ranger_Chipset
Commodore's original Los Gatos Amiga team shutdown comes to bite back. I rather keep the original Los Gatos Amiga team and fire PC advocates in Commodore!
Couldn't agree more. 3DO was also a creation - up to date with times - of ex-Amiga engineers.

Quote:
I tried to use my A1200 with TF1260 like my 386DX-33/ET4000-based PC including AGA's Double NTSC 640x400p 256 color Workbench.

AGA's Double NTSC 640x400p 64 color Workbench is okay.
I know, I personally never went above 8 colours (Magic WB FTW!) because it's even faster that way. Then a few years later I got a Cybervision 3D.

Quote:
Alice's Blitter is still 16-bit with OCS/ECS timings.

AGA is reasonable for a fast +50 fps 320x200/256 with 256 color frame buffer for 2.5D/3D gaming, but it's missing a fast object manipulation processor.
Can't but yet agree. Blitter should've retained compatibility and introduced 32 bit support. Doesn't seem too hard, even in the light of what someone else is trying to defend at all costs...

Copper is a different beast, still it could've at least had 32 bit fetches - a faster copper might have allowed a better chunky-copper mode (imagine Alien Breed 3D in 2x2 with a fast cpu... not too far from Doom, even more colours!).

Quote:
The price difference between 68EC020 25 Mhz and 16 Mhz is very minor.
I have spoken to Mr Pleasance in person twice, and he confirmed that the main problem at Commodore was the total lack of a business plan.

Page generated in 0.04441 seconds with 11 queries