View Single Post
Old 09 March 2024, 03:22   #17
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
plz note that I'm also a fan of good CRT monitors but a good oled panel is far better than any CRT

perfect blacks,sharp image, high contrast, more colors, no motion, etc
also for retro a monitor could be 16:9 no problem while there is an option to set it to 4:3, something that some monitor lacks
I've got an OLED display recently and while good, it's still not as good as a CRT. It just doesn't look the same, even with advanced shaders.

Plus, there's the small matter of burn-in. And the fact the smallest ones are still quite big - and expensive. I could buy 2-4 PVMs for one OLED monitor.

The latter is also the Checkmate's problem. The case looks good, and the add ons are interesting, but the actually important result - how the display looks - is predictably disappointing (at least judging from the videos). Of course if you're used to how modern displays look it' ok, but I just couldn'
t stomach it without shaders, and if I was to go this route, I'd rather invest in RetroTink + some quality panel with VRR etc (maybe OLED, but the burn in possibility really is something that puts the damper on things.)

Page generated in 0.04297 seconds with 11 queries