View Single Post
Old 17 February 2024, 16:15   #74
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by reassembler View Post
About 50% of the time in terms of level scenery. Pretty much all scenery needs to be flipped at some stage. My sprite flipping routine is only a few cycles slower than normal sprite rendering so it's not a performance drain.
Well, I'm asking because you said that you're targeting fast ram configurations, so surely RAM is of no huge concern in this case. Given you're using auto flipping in 50% of time and the fact that you have a gazillion sprites on screen means that even if the routine is fast per object it should also accumulate a lot.

Afaik the general consensus it that software flipping on Amiga is better to be avoided if you actually have ram to spare and you can do otherwise. F.e. the recent port of Final Fight got rid of it and this (according to the author) is an important reason of why the game performs that much better than the original old port (which uses it). Several other projects and coders I've worked with (or I am aware of) all came to the same conclusion.

Ultimately and even if the gains are not gonna be massive, it still seems like a waste if you can do otherwise (i.e. use pre-flipped sprites). All that assuming you do have enough RAM left (of course).

Page generated in 0.05816 seconds with 11 queries