View Single Post
Old 14 February 2024, 15:48   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Ranger View Post
As the title says, I want to be able to compress .iff sound in a way that can do more than the 50% reduction delta compression offers.

I'm going to implement this so it fits within the 8SVX structure, and with decoding can be played back the same as any other 8SVX sound. I'm thinking it would be best to apply some kind of compression on top of delta compression, rather than an entirely different thing.

For performance, it must be able to be decoded in real time at 20KHz sample rate on an Amiga with a 68000.

Does anyone know a suitable compression algorithm I could use to make this possible? Thanks.
You didn't specify the quality you want to achieve. If lossless, then delta compression you mention is already out of league. If lossy, by how much this is acceptable.

But as you prefer something on top of delta compression, you may try to use data that has been delta crunched as source, but in the decrunched form (i.e. normal data but with the losses). It may sound strange but this removes entropy. You can then use smpl mode of xpk library, or do it yourself and convert it to sample mode (values will be not direct but difference with previous), then recrunch with some huffman encoder.

Page generated in 0.04291 seconds with 10 queries