View Single Post
Old 27 December 2023, 19:52   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
What makes the Amiga version of Monkey Island 1 so special and stand out from the other platforms is definitely the fact that uses Chris Huelsbeck's glorious TFMX sound system.

However, I've always wondered how that came to be. I mean, wasn't the Amiga version of Monkey Island 1 developed by Lucasfilm in the USA? TFMX, on the other hand, is a very European thing, developed by a comparatively little known small German company. How on earth did it happen that such a big influential company like Lucasfilm chose to go with such an exotic 3rd party sound system instead of using their own? And as it looks they even hired two German composers (Chris Huelsbeck, Rudolf Stember) to port the soundtrack over to TFMX.

Does anybody know how that mysterious collaboration between Lucasfilm and German hobbyists came to be? Or was the Amiga version of Monkey Island developed in Europe by some subcontractor who then chose to use TFMX?
I think it was simply that Lucasfilm and especially the US didn't have the required skilled people to get the very best out of the Amiga.

I would imagine they heard sountracks by Huelsbeck and Stember and realised they wouldn't be able to produce the same results on the Amiga, so opted to offer the contract for Amiga version to Huelsbeck.

It might well have been that Huelsbeck had too much work on and subcontracted to Stember to help out.

Page generated in 0.04473 seconds with 11 queries