View Single Post
Old 03 June 2023, 15:22   #1
chrisfi

Sony MPF920 PC HD Floppy Drive to Amiga HD Floppy Drive Hack

Here's an early release of the mod I have been working on and covered in this thread from page 3 onwards.

Note this is Beta so there may be some undocumented features. See below for current known issues/limitations which I will try to update as I get feedback.

However, I and others have tested this mod and it works well as a single drive and in big box Amigas with two drives.

Issues and Limitations
  1. ATK reports the drive ID for HD disks as unstable. This issue doesn’t affect normal use.
  2. Some NDOS games do not work. This is not caused by the HD modification - see this and 3 below
  3. Some Sony floppy drives do not work well with OS 3.1.4 and OS 3.2. This applies to both the basic DD and my HD modifications.
  4. Currently the mod is for the Sony MPF920 range of floppy drives only. I intend to experiment on other drives so more may be included under future releases.

Known working drives

Model...........IC2..........Resistor Replaced?
===========================
T/B53.......D9848N..............Yes..............
Z/131.......BA6986FS...........No...............
E/131.......BA6986FS...........No...............

The attached zip has the jed file and instructions. You will need a GAL16V8 PLCC.

The instructions assume you are familiar with modding a Sony drive to work as an Amiga DD drive. If you are not, search for your drive in the Modifying PC floppy drives for Amiga use thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amiga HD FDD Hack V061.zip (490.3 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by chrisfi; 24 July 2023 at 20:44. Reason: Update to issues and limitations

Page generated in 0.04478 seconds with 12 queries