View Single Post
Old 29 April 2023, 14:03   #22
matt3k

For the AOS 4 side, the game ports will be much more plentiful than MorphOS.

MorphOS is much more suited to daily driving and doing productive things. It can be used as a desktop replacement much more than AOS 4. It has very polished and refined over the 30 or so releases for it.

AOS has many less updates and has gone after more pie in the sky features. So installing it will be a bit more complicated. As SamCrow mentioned MorphOS went after a development environment to open doors not available in Amiga Land.

Email alone is a tremendous headache in AOS. Simplemail and YAM were really good 25 years ago, but they are now crashy and a big waste of time. Iris will be running in minutes and work perfectly with 10k emails with 5 different servers and YAM/Simplemail will be starting up for 10 minutes and then crashing repeatedly. Rendering HTML and allowing modern and normal use of email is unique to Iris. Impossible any where else with a native program. Even handling PDF's in MorphOS is easier. This doesn't even mention Wayfarer and how I can use it daily and it just works and renders perfectly. Amiga browsers are really prehistoric tbh and don't do much.

Wayfarer, Iris, PolyOrga, and other native programs provide capabilities that just aren't available in any other Amiga flavors. Multi-monitor is also the best in MorphOS.

As I got old over the years I just want to use the box and not think about it with no drama or headaches. I don't even tinker much with the classic stuff. So MorphOS is clearly the daily driver, just use it as a desktop replacement. I can use MorphOS for my work daily with out issues, that is near impossible to do with AOS (believe me I had months into trying!). AOS is much more for nostalgia for me.

Performance wise, it seems that MorphOS has some speed advantage as well for overall feeling and fps for gaming. Will be interesting when the new drivers are release to see if there is an improvement.

The last and biggest difference is that in MorphOS is if I have an issue with the OS that impacts my work. The Team has always helped me and even fixed code over the years to make it work/better. I remember back when I first bought my Peg II new, I had issues with a screen saver and they fixed it very timely. At least I know what the status will be or if it will be fixed etc. So for me it is worth it to choose MorphOS alone.

In the end, it depends what you want to use it for.

Last edited by matt3k; 29 April 2023 at 22:46.

Page generated in 0.04528 seconds with 11 queries