View Single Post
Old 13 April 2023, 13:50   #16
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
(...) I thought about rendering them into samples and streaming them from memory. The main issue is that each track can contain multiple subsongs, and the game has hardcoded order/row offsets in many places, in addition to saving restoring the original position. It's just a pain to retrofit everything to a non-tracker format.

I thought about the sampling solution, but I was completely unaware of the inherent complications to Death Rally's music. Alas, if it has to be rendered without music, so be it. I just think that the music was a very important part of the game, to a point where my brain went to a certain driving pattern whenever I heard/saw a certain track/song combination.

Sparked by this thread, I revisited Death Rally yesterday after about two years without playing it. It's incredible how immediately playable it still is, even after all these years.

Even though I don't have an Amiga that will be able to run it, I commend your efforts and to see that a 040 can run it is mind blowing, but above all the fact that it can be made to run in AGA is what astounds me the most. It just exemplifies the fact that AGA wasn't such the lacklustre chipset we often slag it to be.

Major kudos, BSzili!

Page generated in 0.04282 seconds with 10 queries