View Single Post
Old 09 April 2023, 07:11   #72
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
The biggest problem for me was most Amiga game music used the same crappy samples from those PD libraries (taken from crap synths and sampled in a crap way), hated that when some lazy git used an ST-?? instrument disk to shove in some lame sample for an instrument using a MOD tracker, THIS is the problem with Amiga musicians, poor taste and 'couldn't give a rat's ass' attitude to finding/using appropriately atmospheric/suitable unique instruments.

You are on to a loser with Amiga game music for this specific reason IMO and David Whitaker didn't disgrace the Amiga with cheap/naff synth instrument samples like many of the others on Amiga games dev scene so I voted no. Musical note arrangement 'talent' is just one aspect of Amiga game music, the worst crime for an Amiga game development was those horrible naff instrument samples (also in 90% of demo MOD tunes in the 80s too).

Very few Amiga games were done with proper, unique and atmospheric instrument samples to be quite honest and Shadow of the Beast was one of the first batch of games where owning a decent amp and speakers for your Amiga 500/1000 was absolutely essential.
Yeah, Whittaker almost singlehandedly defined the first phase of Amiga music, together with the Cinemaware titles, but - despite agreeing with you in most of the sound critique - i want to do a partial defense of the ST-01 users: i want to remind that at the time having a sampler was kinda luxury so was easier for those wannabe musicians - most of the time teenagers on in their 20s - to use and rip samples from other songs, i know because was one of them!

Page generated in 0.04306 seconds with 10 queries