View Single Post
Old 08 April 2023, 16:26   #70
ImmortalA1000

I don't think Whitaker is in that category on Amiga personally, his remix of Panther C64 for Amiga/ST for Sidewinder by Mastertronic is pretty cool and completely unique and the music in NY Warriors sounds very similar to 'Whitaker electric guitar' that's just how it is when your computer has 4 DACs and nothing else as a 'sound chip'. Menace has awesome music, etc etc.

The biggest problem for me was most Amiga game music used the same crappy samples from those PD libraries (taken from crap synths and sampled in a crap way), hated that when some lazy git used an ST-?? instrument disk to shove in some lame sample for an instrument using a MOD tracker, THIS is the problem with Amiga musicians, poor taste and 'couldn't give a rat's ass' attitude to finding/using appropriately atmospherice/suitable unique instruments.

You are on to a loser with Amiga game music for this specific reason IMO and David Whitaker didn't disgrace the Amiga with cheap/naff synth instrument samples like many of the others on Amiga games dev scene so I voted no. Musical note arrangement 'talent' is just one aspect of Amiga game music, the worst crime for an Amiga game development was those horrible naff instrument samples (also in 90% of demo MOD tunes in the 80s too).

Very few Amiga games were done with proper, unique and atmospheric instrument samples to be quite honest and Shadow of the Beast was one of the first batch of games where owning a decent amp and speakers for your Amiga 500/1000 was absolutely essential.

If you compare that to Dunn's arguably best game soundtrack, Batman, there is no goddamm treble on his instrument samples, my hi-fi's spectrum analyser is not even producing bugger all above 5-6khz midrange. THAT is goddam lazy, 28khz Amiga with flat samples that sound as bad as ST software sample playback? lol no thanks

Page generated in 0.04277 seconds with 10 queries