Thread: Open Workbench
View Single Post
Old 17 March 2023, 17:19   #80
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Personally I am embracing the retro experience by 'pirating' everything in sight from that time, and I don't care if bloodsuckers like Cloanto theoretically have the rights to it. It they want people to buy their product they should consider giving their customers and all classic Amiga owners (who are still legitimate licensees of the OS that came with the machine) the right to distribute essential system files that they know we already have the rights to. This wouldn't hurt their sales at all, in fact it might even increase sales if buying their product gave you an automatic license.
Totally agree with this sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
If you are afraid that 'just doing it' is too risky then the next obvious solution is to write your own replacement code, which should be made free and open source so others can also use it without fear. That innovation is what copyright laws are supposed to promote! And if that results in Cloanto losing sales that's their fault for not being reasonable.
Good point as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I had a similar idea long ago, I even posted it up on the web.

I, in fact, named it "FreeBench". So please be kind to use another name.
"OpenBench" seems nice.

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/FreeBench.htm

There is not a download on that page, but more of a short summary of what was my inital project and the results achieved.
Looks interesting.

Last edited by modrobert; 17 March 2023 at 17:24.

Page generated in 0.04915 seconds with 11 queries