View Single Post
Old 14 January 2022, 01:15   #18
d4rk3lf

Why don't you try and contact Richard himself, by the mail, or here on eab?
Not so long, he wrote this, in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAplin View Post
Hi,
[ sorry to dredge up Final Fight again, I know you were trying to get away from it, but.. ] Hacking the existing A500 FF code to make it a significantly more playable/fun/authentic game would not be that hard; a lot easier than starting coding something from scratch - not a trivial job by any means, but one would be able to focus on fixing the rather tedious enemy AI and so on. There's a ton of stuff in that engine (background loading/decompression of sprites, dynamic memory defragging, etc) that was hard work at the time and would still be hard work to do today.
It did as much with the extra 512k of a 1MB A500 [if present] as it reasonably could - IIRC I used 128k for a 16bit ->16bit lookup table for flipping sprites, the rest for buffering etc. If I recall, on a 1MB amiga you would actually see different (larger variety) of baddies during the game because it was possible to keep more gfx in ram at the same time, and if it couldn't allocate space to load a new one (while you were playing) it fell back to reusing a baddie that was already in ram. However, that stuff is kinda cosmetic and not that important compared to making the gameplay mechanic feel really good.

Anyway.. personally I'd like to see someone hack the original FF code and make it a more fun game
Hopefully,. the above will give some insight, and if he give you some further advices (or even source code), that would be awesome.

Page generated in 0.06888 seconds with 11 queries