View Single Post
Old 08 December 2021, 19:32   #15
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Here's a fairly stupid blitter-only C2P for the following format: %aa00bb00cc00dd00 (where a is the most significant bit of the 4 bpl pixel).

It does 3 full passes over the data. The first one is to combine two adjacent pixels, and can be omitted if you can restructure your code to do it there (you probably want to do this for speed).

Without any other DMA active and blitter nasty set it takes (in rasterlines):

320x256: 836
320x120: 394

If you can elide the first pass that goes down to:

320x256: 558
320x120: 264

Maybe still not fast enough, and you probably don't want blitter nasty set for more than a full frame (which it'll end up being once other DMA is active). Should be pretty easy to transform into a blitter queue or otherwise break up though.

EDIT: Note it's still 2x1 so 320x120 means a 160x120 chunky screen, and yes it uses 16 bits for each of those pixels in the 3 pass mode.
Thanks, this will definitely be a good start for me. For the "proof of concept" I'll probably keep the textures in an unscrambled format to measure how much memory each level uses. Probably not a lot as they usually have some theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
@Thread

I am considering a title change to this thread. Since, the A500 does not own the monopoly on C2P code some possible options for greater topic diversity are:

Low End Amiga
ECS Amiga
Amiga

or any better ideas?

I will wait a few days for feedback to be posted before making any changes...
Fair enough, OCS Amiga or ECS Amiga is fine by me

Page generated in 0.04319 seconds with 11 queries