View Single Post
Old 10 June 2004, 19:10   #1

Kids get back into "oldschool" Golden Gaming

Forgot to mention this guys. Proof that old-school “pickup and play”, instantly addictive games are timeless! They represent the true art of gaming and no instruction manual in sight!

Decided to drop into a large computer store last week when the kids were off and it certainly brought a smile to my face.

Out of all the machines set-up (playstations, x-boxes, gamecubes etc) the vast majority of kids were playing on those 10 retro games in one joystick things. At first I thought they’d just be taking the piss, but I soon discovered THEY WERE LOVING IT! Not joking, these mini-peeps were absolutely glued on games like pacman and dig-dug, trying to frantically beat each others score and arguing who was going to get the next go. Totally reminded me of when I was kicking my parents arse at Jelly Monsters on the Vic-20 at the age of 6. Or was it 5?

Poor next gen consoles - it was ghost town for them that day. Kids were having a go on them, getting pissed off with the controls or becoming board with what seemed like a "seen it all before" attitude, then wandered off far sooner than the group playing the classics.

So love em or hate em, these games in a joystick things are bringing old school back to the kids. Personally I have no use for them. It's also a shame none of them are upgradeable and retain 2-player as an option. Through their novel concept however kids of today (who are unlikely to use emus) are enjoying good old retrogaming!
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.07275 seconds with 9 queries