View Single Post
Old 23 April 2021, 23:06   #5
mateusz_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Very cool stuff like I said to you before, well done.....must have been a huge coding effort.

High color RTG graphics on a real classic Amiga will never be that fast I'm afraid to say, even discounting the fact the the CyberGFX API probably isn't very well optimized for high color the Zorro bus throughput is very limited so it will have trouble just drawing a screen quickly. Obviously FPGA computers like the Vampire won't have this limitation.

Profiling C (or even C++) would be very helpful for the classic Amiga but as far as I know this isn't possible using gcc?

Hello NovaCoder, thanks you for reply..
Well yes, I am aiming for "modernish" accelerators like Vampires with combined RTG..
This because, there are a lots of 8 bit fps and other games, I just wanted to step level up,
and see the new possibilities.

This code can be much more optimised, and almost for sure could run 40-50 fps in 320x240x32.. which is more than enough. ~20fps in 640x400 could also be possible which is playable.

You can use profiler on GCC.. it generates the output file.. but in my case I couln'd find it much useful..

Another possibility is to use cycle counter and cache misses counter, but on Vampire only.

But 32 bit color is not only for 3d games that need lots of calculations. For example for a nice Tower Defense game we don't need 32bit, 8 would be enogh, but in higher resolution etc.

Anyway I am still trying to make more optimalisations, working in C, optimizing loops, trying different rendering algorithms etc.. no pressure just fun..

Page generated in 0.04164 seconds with 11 queries