Thread: PDOS for Amiga
View Single Post
Old 06 March 2021, 09:32   #67
kerravon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I think that if you want to access the hard drive, you need a working kickstart.
Otherwise you're gonna make your life more complex and be limited to single Amiga model.
Well, people without an Amiga 1000 or emulator would have the options of:

1. Replacing the Kickstart ROM with the new BIOS ROM, which will obviously only allow them to boot PDOS, until other OSes come along that support the Atari (or whatever) BIOS.

2. Creating a version of the BIOS code that can be loaded by Kickstart, with Kickstart being replaced (or ignored) by the BIOS.

This would mean that the entire memory wouldn't be available, but that is OK, the BIOS will prevent all the memory from being available too, and the IBM PC BIOS provides a call to retrieve the available memory a bit at a time, in the knowledge that it is not a single block.

Quote:
But this has some benefits. The AmigaOS offers a lot more than mere BIOS.
I don't require more than a mere BIOS, and I don't want people to have to buy AmigaOS.

Quote:
Why not just redirecting your API to AmigaOS then ? You could access any file system this way, including FAT. For text output, there is simple stdout.
It defeats the purpose of being an OS.

Quote:
If you're gonna use Amiga thru an emulator, you can use PDOS on the Amiga in pretty much the same way - as a VM.
What does a VM give me?

Quote:
Only thing you need is a .lib redirecting all your calls.
Which calls? The Atari BIOS calls?

Quote:
If it can't work this way, what did I miss ?
The thing you are missing is that I don't want to be dependent on AmigaOS. The purpose is to provide a complete replacement.

However, you have made a good suggestion. Can the Atari OS be run on the Amiga? If so, someone must have provided the Atari BIOS. And actually I don't really care if PDOS runs under AmigaOS, so long as PDOS is only making BIOS calls (trap #13). (Or some replacement BIOS, e.g. IBM PC BIOS if you want).

The job of making the Atari BIOS independent of AmigaOS, or independent of just Kickstart, can be an exercise for another day. My main interest is getting PDOS to run on the Amiga and Atari hardware, with minimal changes to PDOS code, and for those minimal changes to be things like using Atari BIOS instead of IBM PC BIOS. I don't like the idea of modifying PDOS to use AmigaOS calls. I guess if the AmigaOS calls are hidden in a function called AtariBIOSReadDiskSector() it's no big deal.

Does that open up a new path for quick implementation?

Page generated in 0.04451 seconds with 11 queries