View Single Post
Old 23 February 2021, 20:09   #13
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
For me, the big difference comes between the likes of Lotus, Crazy Cars etc., and F-Zero & Mario Kart and the likes. The former make no attempt to be actually 3D - all you have is a road that shifts to the left or the right, but always seems to go the same direction and generally feels too false for my liking.

Mario Kart and F-Zero could rotate the track in any direction (even though the racers and objects were simply scaled sprites), and that made things feel much more immersive, and suddenly I was interested in racing games. That feeling was also present in polygon racers like F1GP of course.
I have to agree about Lotus and Crazy Cars, the Amiga had loads of those Pole Position-type racing games that were really honestly CRAP, as there's no real sense of 3D or 2D space at all. With Lotus, etc, all you have is a road, usually with a stripe of some sort to give the impression of speed, and it bends left or right to differing degrees and the road may undulate up or down to simulate bumps and so forth, but the frequency and ease of which competing cars approach you is determined by dubious means, which is hard to call real racing.

By comparison, take the F-Zero and Mario Kart games, or on the Amiga, Super Skidmarks, Super Cars II or 3D games like Stunt Car Racer or MicroProse' Formula One Grand Prix, which have a real physical 2D or 3D space in which to race in, and the sense of competition is raised immensely!

Page generated in 0.04318 seconds with 11 queries