View Single Post
Old 18 February 2021, 13:23   #477
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
For the record, I don't think most of what they've shown is impossible. Whether or not the extreme BPLCON4 stuff at the end can all be done exactly as shown is an open question (though some form of what they suggest ought to be doable, if fiddly as hell to get into the Copperlist and design for every single level).
Just a quick note about this. I have admit that I didn't watch the video, but rather I've skimmed through it with the position bar. When I reached the point when boxes show the various color zones, I thought that they were not considering that there are only 256 color registers, which, coupled with the fact that the playfields require 32 registers, gives a maximum of 8 different zones to switch between with BPLCON4, less than those shown in the video. Moreover, either one of the 32 registers segments has to be left for the sprites (lowering the amount of color zones to 7) or 16 colors have to be shared with sprites.
Also, considering the color splits on horizontal basis, besides the complexity of it all, there's also the performance impact: to handle the scrolling, the CPU would have to update a large number of the Copper WAIT instructions each frame.

Page generated in 0.07875 seconds with 10 queries