View Single Post
Old 13 February 2021, 08:44   #478
Valken

I just want to add my comments but I think mkstr should continue the project.

Buffee is awesome but it is focused on 68000 market.

This is 68K + up to whatever plus FPGA has a lot of modern HW options - USB, WIFI, HDMI output, mini-jack audio in/out, possible MIDI emulation and much more.

I know times are hard world wide, but I think it is because of this and lack of spending power have pushed more people to look at bang for the buck AND good enough, not necessarily the latest and greatest.

I see a huge wave of interests in Retro even among my friends who have really good means. Instead of paying scalper prices for mass production products that basically are in essence "accelerators" to their current PC or Mac (CPU, MB, RAM and GPU), they want a new or new-retro classic experience.

Console sales, VR and retro are the new wave.

Amiga, Atari ST, Mac and even console fans (Megadrive, NeoGeo, Sharp 68K (yeh, I know it is a PC technically, CPS) are looking to enhance their experience and that drive is create a new, alb et small, market.

I seem room for Buffee, this, Vampire, re-Amigas and even WinUAE/Hatari on current x86/x64 hardware.

To validate my comment, I am (now) working back in IT, thank Jebus. The market is BOOMING like a fughamudda (TM) and the commercial aspects are there now. We build out custom hardware in the 100s of units, not 1000s as the market is opened to it but the business keeps growing.

There is room for all of these projects currently in the market and more as I believe for every 10K WinUAE user, there will be 100 HARDWARE users and among those HW USERS, they will want to own multiples of different projects.

The price to them is worth it compared to paying 2x-3x for JUST a barebones PC CPU or GPU today.

If you are unsure of the market potential, do a rough cost and toss it out there. Let the market tell you to proceed or not. As I told the Buffee team on discord, hit up the Mac68k group as well, our Atari and 68K console cousins. I want to see you guys succeed.

Page generated in 0.04632 seconds with 11 queries