View Single Post
Old 31 January 2021, 21:57   #578
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
If you want to see a decent implementation on AGA, then take a look at the preview of the new game Boss Machine somewhere on these forums

[ Show youtube player ]

Very interesting indeed. I had forgotten all about it. I remember that when I first saw it I thought that the mountainous landscape looked almost the same as the one used in Lionheart. After seeing the video here, I revisited Lionheart and indeed the whole background seems to be the same, including the sky and sea, except for different colours... Lionheart also has a good example of the hardware scrolling effect we're discussing, then.

But be that as it may, I still don't think any Amiga could pull a carbon-copy of Coryoon. Do you agree with this, or do you consider it doable without compromise? Everything. Like the almost bullet-hell amount of sprites, the colours used and the fluidity (I'm guessing 25fps) at which it all moves...

Coryoon is but an example. Games like Air Zonk, Magical Chase, Super Star Soldier, Aero Blasters and Solder Blade are all very impressive and I can't see many (if any) Amiga games reach those standards.

Heck, we can even compare ports of games that exist on both systems. Aside from the already mentioned Street Fighter 2 game, compare the versions of Power Drift, Out Run and Parasol Stars on both systems and tell me which ones are better.

There's only one game that seems on par in both systems: Bomberman (AKA, Dyna Blaster on the Amiga), even though subsequent Bomberman games on the PC-Engine were even better.

The only game shared by both systems that is better on the Amiga is BC Kid, though, again, the subsequent BC Kid games on the PC-Engine use the new main sprite and are better games.

This all to say that - as I said somewhere above - the PC-Engine's graphical chipset (and how it is organized) is a little small wonder (for 1987, the year the A500 came out) that beats many 16bit systems to a pulp in spite of having an 8bit CPU and even gives the oh-so-amazing CD32 - a 32bit system(!!!) - a big run for its money...

Page generated in 0.05195 seconds with 11 queries