View Single Post
Old 12 January 2021, 17:59   #41
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Recommended for what? I wouldn't recommend using DigiBoosterPro in 8 bit mode to anybody if there is a hypothetical 14-bit available for Paula. It was quite common opinion amongst Amiga musicians that those '14-bit HIFI' AHI modes not necessarily sound so close to 16-bit as raw mathematical calculation would suggest, but it was still improvement over 8 bit. And Thomas measurements seems to confirm that notion.
Most music is/was done in 8 bit with Protracker/Octamed and some other trackers and that was/is the only choice for games. Hence the word recommend.

DigiboosterPro is another story (except Paula DMA mode the channels are mixed using AHI). If you use a sound card then use the 16 bit AHI sound driver. If you use Paula then use a 14 bit stereo++ driver. With a slow CPU (<040) use the 14 bit FAST modes (using pre-calc tables) to be able to mix enough channels. With 040/40 (my setup) I recommend the normal 14 bit stereo++ mode. The 040/40 is too slow for the HIFI modes (4 channels is already too much). I don't know but guess that a 060 is also too slow for 6-8 channels or more. I would say nobody used the HIFI modes. However, the normal 14 bit mode sounds good but is far away from 16 bit.

Quote:
There are 12-bit samplers. And there is software where you can reduce sound parameters according to your wish.
I know but I've never seen 12 bit samples and nearly nobody used it. So, it is a very special environment. However, I asked for 14 bit. Somebody knows how 11 bit or 13 bit sound?!

Page generated in 0.08141 seconds with 11 queries