View Single Post
Old 20 April 2004, 09:29   #31
Originally posted by XDread
"A machine that has the stability of an Amiga (unlike PC)"

Hey, have you ever heard of "Guru Meditations"? How often did you experience that? Why do you think? Perhaps that was because an Amiga does not have protected memory? (And people creating faulty programs?)

How often do you see the PC-equivalent blue screen today on a modern operating system? Once a year? Once every 6 months? Its probably not often, unless you are experiencing bad hardware or a bad or faulty installation.
How often do you see crap messages like the one attached on the Amiga? Never. If you are actually involved with setting up Windows on different hardware, you get a lot of strange messages.

Ok, I admit that it's not fair comparing an old Amiga with todays PCs. The Amiga at its time was far ahead of any PC existing at that time, and so was it for several years. To state that an Amiga is a stable machine is to go way overboard! So is it to state that todays PCs are not very stable.
You are right. Modern PCs are very stable when run on Linux. This is not the case when you run Windows though. You still get issues that makes you laugh. If Windows were stable, you wouldn't have service packs. Windows are not only instable but also have security issues. The word Service Pack has been uknown to me until I used Windows.... Oh, BTW, my Amigas has never crashed (A1200 WB3.1, A1200 WB 3.0, A4k OS3.5, A4k, OS3.9). Am I a lucky man?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	6682  
Page generated in 0.05402 seconds with 10 queries