View Single Post
Old 04 December 2020, 17:29   #73
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Rumours ?!? Never heard of those. Without confirmation not valid anyway.
And still, a competitive product would have succeeded. But the CD32 wasn't.

We all know the technical abilities of all three consoles. Not even on paper the CD32 stood a chance.

I could accept your argument for f.ex. SegaMegaCD Games where you first had to buy a MegaCD. But this isn't the case here:You didn't have to upgrade the SNES. You had a bog-standard SNES, bought Starfox and could play the game. So yes, these games count. (And no, the SNES wasn't just a passthrough.)

I disagree with Guarding being much better on the CD32. Controls, yes.
Never really liked and played banshee, what is "maybe" better there ?

Music is in fact what in my opinion was mostly better on Amiga in comparison to consoles.
And that many games suffer from just Music of Sound is lazyness IMO.
Play titles like Turrican 1-3 f.ex. where you can enjoy very good music and sound together.
Yes, CD32 could play cdaudio. Which is cool, don't get me wrong. But not much of a needed or extravagant feature.

HD's do count as most Amiga 1200's came standard with harddrive. And the mentioned titles were also disk releases. So you could buy the disk-versions, startup your standard A1200HD and install the games.

Your initial statement was simply "What makes the Amiga CD32 the best Amiga ?". You weren't talking money. And besides the X68000 not being available in Europe it also is no Amiga , so doesn't make sense to mention here.
Thus I stand to my opinion: The best Amiga in my opinion is still A4000. If we're talking money the A1200(HD).

Indeed. A "crippled" A1200. With an obsolete Akiko. And if the cd-drive gives up at some point most people can't repair or change it themselves, as opposed to A1200 and A4000 being able to buy generic cdroms or even cdburners.

I don't see those great improvements.

No :P

The Atari/Sega legal agreement is officially documented. They obviously wouldn't document the Commodore part.

The CD32 was selling very well until the shipments to the US were cancelled because of the cursor patent violation. More sales would have meant more developers spending more time making decent games.

Most console launch games weren't amazing either. We forget when we got consoles here in the UK they had been out in Japan often for over a year. In Japan the SNES literally had 2(!) games available at launch

The guy who coded Doom for the SNES did say it was pretty much a video passthrough. The SNES just took inputs from controls, basic stuff like that

Standard A1200s did not come with a HD.

I think you are minimizing the impact of multi-button controller and the ability to play music and sound effects, and no disk-swapping. All of these put together clearly make the CD32 the best Amiga. The CD32 is obviously an upgraded A1200

Page generated in 0.04221 seconds with 11 queries