View Single Post
Old 03 April 2004, 20:59   #9
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Originally posted by Antiriad
I totally disagree with you Ant512 and Unknown_K.

I do expect others to donate their skills and time for free. I do it myself...others do also. Have you no sense of community? Or is it just all $$$ as far as youre concerned? Time shouldnt always be money ffs... Hell if i did an emulator i wouldnt charge for it. Id be satisfied from the achievement and the enjoyment of using it myself.

Oh lets see, this hardware argument of yours. The TV and DVD players are creations of the hardware firm that aren't ripping off something copyrighted. Scripts again are the unique creation of a scriptwriter. Actors are also unique and arent pretending to be another.

Retro related activites such as emulators should not be made for money by individuals. It turns it all into a illegitimate business and attracts unwarranted attention from companies and the law. It will only drive emulation into the ground.

An emulator is mimicking hardware thats the copyright of a commercial firm. So for individuals to sell emulators is as bad as selling illegal copies of the software written for them.

Therefore only the firm behind that hardware have the right to charge for an emulator they've created. So no I dont expect them to release it for free. They have the right to sell emulators and software for it. Unrelated individuals do not.
Your circumstances afford you the luxury of donating skills to a project you like to do, lots of other people dont have the time to spare on doing something that doesnt bring food to their table. Your argument makes as much sense as a multi millionaire bitching that the rest of the country doesnt all vote republican because he does!

Time is $$$ up to the point you have enough to do what you need and desire then after that its up to you if you want to donate any of your time to programming or whatever else.

Emulators are used by people who cant afford, dont have the space, or want an easier method of running software on their current machines. There is absolutely nothing wrong with writing emulation software as long as your not using anybody elses copyrighted code. Just because others will use your emulator to play a downloaded cracked games doesnt make what your doing illegal just like buying a new pc to play a doom 3 cdr isnt illegal either. The act of using software you havnt payed for it the problem, not the emulator itself.

There are no rights in this world that are not covered under the law of the country you are living in. Show me where in the US that there is a law I have to use non GM parts to fix my GM car, I cant play my music cd on my computer, I cant play Gran turismo PSX that I purchased on my dreamcast using bleamcast, I cant code any dam thing I am capable of that isnt under copyright by somebody else? You should be smart enough to figure out that as long as you dont copy somebody elses work (according to local laws) you can make any hardware or software you want. The reason the PC platform took over the world is because IBM was not smart enough to make their PC with proprietary hardware, once compaq cloned (legally of course) the bios everybody could make a PC. Are you trying to tell me that only IBM should have been able to profit from their machine even though it was 99% off the shelf parts?
Page generated in 0.07982 seconds with 9 queries