View Single Post
Old 03 October 2020, 14:35   #56
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Was a bit slow, though; i remember a friend of mine in 1993 did render this animation for the Bit.movie contest using its A500+, imagine 2 and hard disk (80MB) and expansion [and i made the music]; after three days of rendering scanline, the replay of the full screen 320x256 HAM playback (ANIM-7 if i remember) was around 4/6 FPS using Viewtek; a quarter screen 160x120 CDXL would have indeed been more manageable i suppose
[the below video was captured using an A3000 so is faster]
CDXL ran at something like 15FPS on an A500 and was essentially "a bit better and a bit worse" than what PC's did for multimedia CD based animation at the time: basically the same resolution & frame rate, more colours per frame (4096 vs 256), worse colour palette depth (12bit vs 18 bit). It was actually quite impressive for the time, even if the full-screen pixel doubled version was clearly low-res.

PC's didn't commonly do full screen animations like what you're showing there until a few years later (at which point they did usually have fast enough hardware for decent frame rates as well though), most PC games/animations at the time (1990-1992) used "smoke and mirrors" to make it seem the screen was full sized and animating, while really only animating a small section of the screen or dropping the frame rate significantly when larger objects were displayed. The Amiga basically did the same, many animations ran at more respectable frame rates on an A500 by just not animating the entire screen.

Page generated in 0.04371 seconds with 11 queries