View Single Post
Old 16 September 2020, 00:16   #12
lexthehex

Whoops! Did I crash the BBS?

To Lasix:

Thanks for hosting Dial-Up Nights, which I first called a few weeks ago.
I tried tonight to play a door program. This has been my fourth call, I think - the first few not being very successful because I was using an Amstrad PPC640 with its not-very-fast 2400 baud modem, and I was quite unfamiliar with its 'Mirror II' comms app. This resulted in incorrect terminal settings, unexpected disconnects and screens full of random characters. Since the PPC640's LCD screen is of the low-contrast 'supertwist' type and my eyesight is rather poor, I found using the board difficult. On my second call I accidentally disconnected the telephone cable when I got up to get a cuppa. This reminds me of the 'old days' when I played MUD2 at 300 baud on a BBC Micro - that was so slow that I can't believe I put up with it for so long.. but then, I was quite addicted to it.
I bought a Hayes Accura V90 modem on eBay and managed to go online with it tonight, using TeraTerm on a PC (do the letters 'PC' still provoke hisses and boos from Amiga users?). On the first try, I had the serial port rate set to 9600, so that was the rate that was negotiated. I tried playing Star Trek and it 'froze' during the game. I hung up, called back a few times and although the modem answered, I didn't get any data - so I have to guiltily admit that I crashed it! Oops.. sorry!
I called again with different rates, with no luck. Try again tomorrow?

Cheers.
Lex

Page generated in 0.07103 seconds with 11 queries