View Single Post
Old 07 September 2020, 22:19   #16
temisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Zip cannot store Amiga filesystem specific features, such as comments, so it's out of the question.
Hi, I did not come here to argue (or to start flame war) about archivers. I think we all know the state of the affairs with lha / zip in amiga and the problems they have and why people prefer lha...

Following we know for certain for zip
  • Amiga attributes are easily broken if the file is ever decompressed in any other operating system
  • To include file comments in zip files you need to add special flag both when compressing and decompressing
  • There can be character set conversions that break the filenames

However, if we want to choose between a new container format and fixing bugs in existing one (and extending it backwards compatible fashion), fixing existing one would be in my mind a better option. There is nothing wrong in the zip-file format itself, it is well documented in a RFC and has working extension system. It is always about the implementation...

I just wanted to point out that zip-file format is better suited for random access of files. Obviously there is a risk that if zip is used as a container, there will be people abusing it. But it only takes a simple check to see what is the creator operating system to make sure we have a proper image. So there is always a trade off

Now, in order to steer the discussion to more technical side I made some comparisons. I tested with known adf-file (3DDemo1). Lets compare what are the effects of making file seekable with track accuracy (5632 bytes)
  • ADF - 901120 bytes
  • ADZ - 597108 bytes
  • DMS - 617348 bytes
  • Split deflate - 628245 bytes

So, obviously there is a price to pay if you make the compressed file seekable. But to me it looks like there would be a benefit as long as it is something that is dynamically tunable per file

Page generated in 0.10995 seconds with 11 queries