View Single Post
Old 07 March 2004, 17:26   #8
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: ST games that never made on Amiga...

Originally posted by the wolf
Don't know if someone have already noticed this, but I ever guessed why some conversions were made only for ST and never ported on Amiga.
Strange, because graphics capabilities of these two machines were, in a certain way, extremely similar. And usually, when a conversion was planning for one of these machines, someone else was working on the other!

Just some titles for example:
Super Sprint, International Karate, Gauntlet, Hatris, Karateka, Oids, Game Over 2, Enduro Racer, Xevious...

Not to mention other non-coversion "Where time stood still"...

What's the reason about this "racism"? And I'm talking about their first years, where these two machines were solded in all their splendor, and anyone spend the day (well, almost!) to prove his computer was better than the one of his friend/rival.
I think the reasons mostly boiled down to money and convenience. The Atari ST was a larger games market for most companies in the 1980s than the Amiga simply because the ST was a significantly cheaper computer to buy than the Amiga back then. This was probably evidenced by the fact that games on the ST were often at least 5 UKP cheaper than the Amiga ones, even for the same title.

If selling to a smaller market wasn't a factor, then development costs and convenience probably were. I imagine it was more economically viable for a game to be published on the Amiga if it could be conveniently ported across by the ST coders without having to spend too much time doing so. For the publishers, this meant that a separate Amiga team of coders didn't have to be paid, and there was less financial risk involved if actual sales fell significantly short of projected sales in the smaller Amiga market.
Page generated in 0.05237 seconds with 9 queries