Thread: Tiny Galaga
View Single Post
Old 27 May 2020, 09:18   #76
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
*sigh* I never said that either. I said OS 3.9 and others weren't "Frankenstein" configurations. YOU said I couldn't expect to run a game written for an A500 (no where did the developer say it was written for an A500) and I said I had no such expectation - the developer actually said "any." But since you obviously need to be right, I'll leave it at that. If you want to have an argument with someone, I'm afraid you're going to have to choose another target. I won't participate further.

I respect your opinion that the different OSes are vital for the Amiga and its users, but that's not contrary to my argument. It's not even really a part of this discussion.

My point is, that the Amiga is a shit platform to code games for because of all these existing configs. A large reason for why the scene of coders who actually do something on it is still so small compared to other, more unified platforms.

The thing is, that, most people are coding for either Vanilla A500 or 1200, and usually on bare metal (means asm and directly altering RAM and registers, circumventing the OS) to get the most speed out of the machine.

So, as a Amiga game coder I couldn't care less about the OS. I am not coding for OS 1.3 or OS 3.1.4 or OS 3.9.
My target is an OCS machine with 512k+512k and a disk drive.

Yet many people in the Amiga scene don't seem to get this difference and are complaining that their exotic hardware setup doesn't support this most basic Amiga config anymore.

In the end, they basically want games to start and behave like on a PC.

ps: We can be thankful that we still have people like Ross who know about how to get a new game compatible with almost any hardware config.

Page generated in 0.04642 seconds with 11 queries