View Single Post
Old 18 May 2020, 18:40   #14
Tolgod

Well, I do see a vast difference with real life performance, but the trends are the same across the board.
The emulation suggestion was done here, and crude as may be, it's the only viable source of some more info in regards to the questions I'm having.
Now I'm not using any diagnostic tools or anything, just lookin at how Ibrowse performs on loading a certain website.
Unless someone here actually has both setups and could provide me with real life data, this is the best hint of what to expect.
The conclusion I find safe to draw is that an FPU won't be a magic bullet for browsing and an upgrade to a 030 system neither.
That in real life the 030 might outperform the 020 on the use of IBrowse is still possible, though the results on emulated setups suggest there that IBrowse isn't particularly helped by the extra computing power of the 030.
What I do find safe to assume from this is that a 030 won't likely give me more of an edge than that which is measured on real systems in the sense of drystones per clockcycle. In other words, it might be quicker, but also no paradigm shifting performance boost. Currently my 020@26.67mhz loads lemonamiga in app. 1:41.
I now doubt a 030 at equal speed with an fpu could do that in under a minute.

Let me just put out the request explicitely to anyone reading this and having a real life 020 and 030 setup and networking solution, could you try to load lemonamiga.com in Ibrowse on both setups and report me the difference here?

There, I can't do more than that, for now this all I have to go on.
grtz

Page generated in 0.04656 seconds with 11 queries