View Single Post
Old 03 May 2020, 13:27   #1
camsoft2000

Sad Amiga - Possible memory issues?

Hi all,

So I recently bought an Amiga 500 and have been experiencing issues with most software.

My system:
Amiga 500 rev5 (in a 500Plus case)

I’ve performed the following hardware upgrades:

- Upgraded Agnus from 8371 to 8372A and covered the NTSC/Pal switching PIN.
- Upgraded KickStart 1.2 with 3.x ROM and used a ROM adaptor to allow EPROM ROM on rev5 board.
- Installed a disk switcher to switch between external and internal boot drives
- Modded and installed a Gotek installed externally
- Installed Boobip 2MB memory expansion board into the trapdoor.
- Installed Boobip Gary adaptor for above memory expansion to utilise more than 512k
- Performed chip RAM mod (JP2) to utilise chip and slow RAM at same time.

According to Amiga Test Kit I’ve got as expected 2.5MB (Chip 1MB — Fast 0.0MB — Slow 1.5MB).

What I’m seeing is sporadic red guru style crashes see below:

I’ve looked up the Guru message reference but these errors don’t appear to match the format I’ve seen posted on the web.

I get these crashes pretty much with most software either when loading or when loaded and just using games and software.

I’ve seeing these crashes with:
- Workbench 3.1
- Lemmings
- Pinball Fantasies
And other games software.

The occurrence of the crashes are varied and won’t always crash at the same point.

Also crashes are much more frequent using the memory upgrades mentioned above.

On removing all the memory upgrades and expansion board software like Workbench will load much further and actually fully load but then crash when using a little later. So the issues seem amplified when adding the additional memory but they don’t appear to be exclusive of having the expanded memory installed.

I’ve ran a memory test for a good 10 minutes and no errors are reported.

What’s puzzling is I’m getting guru style software errors and not hardware errors yet I’m pretty certain it’s a hardware issue and the fact that errors are more frequent when using the memory upgrades seems to confirm that.

I’ve checked all the chips and seated them all. There is some corrosion on some of the pins but I assume if they didn’t work I wouldn’t even be able to load software and would get a coloured screen.

In installing the memory upgrades I followed the instructions on Boobip exactly http://www.boobip.com/hardware/A500_2MB

Though as I say I don’t think that’s the issue as it still happens when all the upgrades to memory are reversed.

I’m still running the AmigaTestKit memory check now and it’s on round 60 currently with zero errors.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Page generated in 0.04276 seconds with 11 queries