View Single Post
Old 21 February 2020, 13:00   #47
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'm afraid I agree with Steril707. Euro "shmups" suck. Except Apidya, you have to love that game. But it could be argued that it's a Japanese style shooter.

Check out the PC Engine or Megadrive for a proper game. Thunderforce IV for example (which also has one of the best video game soundtracks of all time). Omake 3 is my favourite, and it wasn't even used in the game.

Edit: Also check out Lightning Strikes Again, Simmer Down, Metal Squad, Stand Up Against Myself.

This game doesn't just rip any shooter on the Amiga a new asshole. It rips it a million new assholes.
I've played tons of Japanese arcade & console shoot em ups. Liked a great deal of them a lot. Also played plenty of C64/Amiga shooters that I really liked. Games like SWIV, Apidya, Uridium II and Hybris can stand on their own as great games. I actually like SWIV so much (yes, even with the low frame rate which doesn't bother me even a little bit in that game) that I've been half-half considering making a video about it.

Playing Thunderforce IV, Blazing Lazers, Star Soldier, Gradius, Salamander, the PC-Engine version of R-Type, Aleste, etc, etc, etc... has not changed this idea at all. Rather, it has reinforced it: there are good shoot em ups on the Amiga. There are plenty of bad ones (like Xenon-II, which I genuinely dislike with a passion), but that does not change the fact there are good ones as well. You can argue about the quantity and sure, some better known ones are overrated, but that is ultimately irrelevant.

Edit: it's even more irrelevant because the point here was about euro-shmups and there are some great non-Amiga shooters as well. There are a bunch of stellar C64 shooters for instance. All European, still great fun.

Last edited by roondar; 21 February 2020 at 13:13. Reason: Added more about SWIV, cuz I like it so much ;)

Page generated in 0.04578 seconds with 11 queries